Saturday, May 28, 2011

When the crazy goes mainstream.

I came across this the other day.  It is from Rev Adrian Miller, an Anglican vicar and a member of the Biblical Creation Society (British). He is giving his answer to a question he says he hears, "Why Won't Creationists Just Give Up?"


A FEW HEADLINE REASONS

- Because we see the empirical data from the sciences fitting so much better within a creationist framework and using creationist models.

- Because we see as inadequate any hermeneutic that treats Genesis as having nothing to say about earth history, biology, palaeo-anthropology, and so on.

- Because we recognise the deistic theology and naturalistic philosophy on which Darwin built his biological ideas, and which seeps into our thinking if we embrace Darwin.

- Because we recognise the importance of revelation in our approach to knowing.

- Because we appreciate the 'Emperor's New Clothes', sociological factors that pressurise members of our society - especially the intellectual elite -to conform to this world, in opposition to Paul's teaching in Romans 12:1-2.

- Because history tells us that where the church has embraced Darwin, it has been weakened.

- Because Satan has provided people with a way of looking at the world that doesn't need God, and we need to expose the weaknesses in that proposition rather than compromise with it.

- Because, far from being bad for mission, creationism provides the best apologetical approach, and makes for the deepest disciples. Incidentally, this isn't to say that we don't have our work cut out convincing 'Greek thinkers' that our message of the cross is not foolishness (1 Cor. 1:22f) - it just means that it's even more important that we present a united front on these issues.


So, eight big chunks of crazy. I think these should orient my next eight posts.

4 comments:

RBH said...

Looking forward to them! :)

Gary S. Hurd said...

Thanks. I should get to work on them. There are distractions- like I might be talked into taking a real job again.

RBH said...

Geez. That's what's happening to me. I thought I was retired until a guy I knew in the business 10 years ago got in contact with me informally a little while ago, and now we're negotiating a 6-month research contract with his new employer.

AM said...

Thanks for reading my article. I'll maybe post a comment on your June blog.